Thursday, October 11, 2012

What Is A Travel Conference?

I always used to think of conferences as something that I had to go to for work.  I always hoped they would be in some place like San Diego, Carmel, or Palm Springs, California (they were never out of state).  After the location was selected I would then hope it was at a hotel where I had elite status.  Finally, I hoped the break out sessions and speakers would be interesting.

Today I am on a 8 AM flight to Chicago for a travel conference.  The weather will be cold but I could not be more excited.  The host hotel, Holiday Inn, (where I have Platinum status) sold out very quickly.  The hotel is taken over by conference attendees and no one else can stay at the hotel during this time.  One gentleman was so quick to make his hotel reservations that he forgot to check back and make his conference reservations.  Unfortunately, the conference also sold out. This conference has grown so large that there are two overflow hotels. 

I wasn't quick enough to get into the host hotel but I made sure I had my conference reservation.  Luckily, because of missing the reservation at the Holiday Inn I am earning a free night at the Radisson and a free night at the Marriott.

If your wondering what is discussed at the conference I decided I would post the sessions.

Seminar Schedule-Sorry if it is a little blurry

Usually I go to the travel conference and make it a long weekend.  This time I have added extra travel time.    Besides visiting Illinois, I will also be traveling to Wisconsin and Indiana.  

This blog was written before my flight.  I always try and do a "dummy" booking the night before to see how full the plane is and to also check on alternative flights if a problem arises but I was not able to make a reservation. Maybe the flight is full?  If I am lucky I will get bumped (remember the September 24, 2012 blog?).  If they ask for volunteers I see that there is an 1100 AM flight available.  I am hope to hear my favorite words, "This flight is overbooked."



No comments:

Post a Comment