Monday, September 24, 2012

My Favorite Words.....

Alaska Airlines is unique in that it is partners with both the OneWorld Alliance (American) and SkyTeam (Delta) alliance.  When my travel agent booked my return flight from Phoenix to Los Angeles I was looking to earn American Airline miles through an Alaska codeshare flight.  Instead I was booked on a Delta airlines flight with an Alaska codeshare.  If you didn't understand what I just said it is very important to read the blog on the importance of airline alliances (Click here for the July 3, 2012 blog).  Flying Delta was not what I had wanted but what the heck it would help me get enough miles in my Alaska account for a free ticket.

While waiting for the flight, the gate agent said my favorite words, "This flight is overbooked."  Before she could finish her next sentence of, "I need one (volunteer),"  I was already at the podium.  I was offered $300.00 towards my next Delta flight and the voucher was good for one year.  I don't fly Delta that often but I am planning a trip to Ireland next June and I knew that Delta flies into Dublin and out of Shannon, which is my itinerary.

The next direct flight was also overbooked so I was booked on a flight from Phoenix to Salt Lake City then on to Los Angeles.  I am able to earn approximately 500 extra airline miles due to this indirect routing.  

Unfortunately, I have no elite status with Delta so when I asked for a meal voucher I only got $6.00.  Previously, with American Airlines I had received $20 per meal. Had I not asked, I would not have been given a meal voucher at all.  Know what to ask for.  Also, it helps to travel light because when choosing who to bump the airlines are looking for someone with carry-on luggage as they don't want to have to remove your luggage from the flight.

The extra free time while waiting for my flight also gives me time to write this blog.  If your schedule is flexible take the "bump," as it is called in airline terminology, and earn a free airline voucher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment