Thursday, September 6, 2012

Help the Red Cross and Earn American Airline Miles

I love this quote by Ronald Reagan:
"No matter how big and powerful government gets, 
and the many services it provides,
 it can never take the place of volunteers." 

I truly believe that every person has an obligation to volunteer.  Volunteerism can take on many forms.  It might be the parent who is involved in the PTA or it might be something such as swinging a hammer for Habitat for Humanity. While I had a wonderful 30 year career it still never gave me the same satisfaction as when I have volunteered.  I have several organizations I volunteer for.  One is the American Red Cross.  In 2005 I used two weeks of my vacation time and took off work so I could go to Houston to help the American Red Cross during Hurricane Katrina.  I have also been to Haiti after the earthquake and Japan after the Tsunami.  

I am very blessed in my life.  I have wonderful family and friends.  I have food, clothing and shelter.  When disaster strikes I hope that my presence can help others who have lost what we all hold so dear.  The feeling of helping others is indescribable.

Cleaning the Streams of Debris; Rikuzentaka, Japan
When I was in Japan last year one of the fisherman told us about losing his entire family and oyster business to the Tsunami.  He told us that he had no will to live until the organization I worked for, Volunteers for Peace, started helping out.  We became his family. You never know what type of impact you might have on someone's life.

In Haiti I tossed 20 pound buckets of concrete, 8 hours a day.  I did this for almost two weeks.  That was a lot of lifting.  


Right now you have a chance to help others and all you have to lift is the credit card from your wallet.  You can earn American Airline miles by donating to the Red Cross.  Why not help out volunteer organizations financially? You can even earn airline miles at the same time.  See the below information I received from American Airlines.  

AMERICAN AIRLINES SUPPORTS
DISASTER RELIEF EFFORTS

Hurricane Isaac has caused devastating flooding and wind damage in communities from Florida to Texas. The Red Cross continues an immense disaster response effort that could last for weeks across multiple states, as the now slow-moving Tropical Storm Isaac, continues its march inland, threatening communities farther to the north that have yet to experience the impact of the storm.
Please join us in supporting the disaster victims by making a cash donation, and American Airlines will reward your generosity with an AAdvantage® bonus mile offer. Through October 1, 2012, AAdvantage members can earn a one-time award of 250 bonus miles for a minimum $50 donation, or 500 bonus miles for a donation of $100 or more to the American Red Cross.


To earn your bonus miles, access the American Airlines / American Red Cross donation site, and select the box next to the question stating, "I consent to the American Red Cross sharing my contact information and donation amount with American Airlines for the purposes of matching my donation", and complete the form.
Terms and Conditions
  • Offer valid on contributions made online at http://american.redcross.org/americanairlines-pub*.
  • Minimum donation of $50 required in order to earn bonus miles.
  • Members will earn a one time bonus up to 500 miles.
  • Promotion dates are 8/31/12 through 10/1/12.
  • AAdvantage miles will post to the member's AAdvantage account approximately 21 days after the donation was made. Please check your AAdvantage account on aa.com to verify the AAdvantage miles have posted to your account.
  • The name on the donation receipt must match the name on the AAdvantage account.
  • You must be an AAdvantage member to receive the bonus miles.
  • Bonus miles do not count toward elite-status qualification.
  • American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage program at any time without notice.
  • American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies.
  • For complete details about the AAdvantage program, visit www.aa.com/aadvantage
  • The American Red Cross name and emblem are used with its permission, which in no way constitutes an endorsement, express or implied, of any product, service, company, opinion or political position.
  • For more information about the Red Cross, please visit www.redcross.org




No comments:

Post a Comment