Tuesday, September 11, 2012

National Day of Service and Rememberance

I think we can all remember where we were and what we were doing 11 years ago September 11, at 8:46 AM (EST) when terrorists hijacked four commercial airliners to strike targets in the United States.  Nearly 3000 people died as a result of the attacks.  My mom was supposed to board a plane that morning bound for LAX from Portland airport.  When I called her to tell her the flight was cancelled she had not heard the news.  She ended up staying in Portland for several days before flights were resumed again.

On 9-11-12, by Presidential proclamation, Americans are called to participate in a moment of silence at 8:46 AM (EST).   After my September 6, 2012 blog I think everyone should know how I feel about volunteerism.  Many Americans will serve in their communities in honor of 9/11 as part of the National Day of Service and Remembrance.  Service projects range from food drives to neighborhood cleanups to disaster preparation activities.  In many areas, volunteers will honor veterans, soldiers or first responders by collecting donations, assembling care packages and writing thank you letters.  Click here to see how you can participate in public service on the National Day of Service and remembrance.  I am thankful for the hard work of my friends who are first responders as well as veterans and soldiers.

Today take a moment out of your busy day and pray for the family and loved ones of those who died on this day eleven years ago.  Sometimes on the blog I may say something about how I am displeased with the service of a particular airline but on this day eleven years ago the crew of United flight 93, United flight 175, American flight 11 and American flight 77 gave their lives along with the passengers on those flights.

Sometimes we complain at the airport when we have to take off our shoes, can't carry liquids over 3.4 ounces through screening and are subjected to body scans.  But if these measures can prevent a day like 9-11 then I will gladly comply with the requests of the overworked TSA agents.  It only takes one look at the following link as a reminder of how how our lives were forever changed because of that tragic day.

Please take a minute of your time and click on this link and share a moment of silence with me at 8:46 AM (EST).

No comments:

Post a Comment