Friday, October 19, 2012

Arrived in Los Angeles 3 Hours Later But $300 Richer

Last night when printing out my boarding pass for my return flight to Los Angeles from Chicago I tried making a "dummy" booking and saw this was not possible.  I got excited, maybe I would get "bumped". But then again the same thing happened on my flight from Los Angeles to Chicago and nothing materialized on that flight.  This morning when I checked in my baggage, (for free with my American Airlines Credit Card), I asked the agent how full the flight was.  She indicated the flight was overbooked by two people.  

After security, I immediately went to the gate agent and asked if the flight was going to need volunteers to be "bumped" onto a later flight.   The gate agent said she was just getting ready to make an announcement regarding that.  I told her there was no need to make the announcement.  There were two in my party and we would be glad to volunteer.  When this happens, generally you don't know until everyone has boarded whether you will be needed.  One time, on a flight from Miami to LAX,  I had volunteered to be bumped, but was not needed. Just for volunteering I was upgraded to first class. 

Guess what? Today I got to do my happy dance.  Maria and I both got "bumped" and each of us was offered a $300 voucher for taking a flight that departed three hours later. So it was off to the American Airlines lounge.  The cost for a one day pass is $50 but I get reimbursed the entire amount.  Read the  July 23, 2012 to see how.

The American Airlines lounge here in Chicago is one of the worst I have been in.  They charge for almost everything, including sodas.  The only items that are free are cookies, fruit and water.  I guess I shouldn't complain because, as mentioned in yesterday's USA Today newspaper, Spirit airlines even charges for water on their flights. If you missed the August 30, 2012 blog, click here to see what other things Spirit charges for and why I dislike them.

This is my 100th post.  Thanks to all of you who continue to follow me.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment