Thursday, October 25, 2012

Gold or Platinum?


Today, Maria got an email that said she made American Airlines gold status. Good for her!  That got me thinking.  I have already earned gold status this year but I really want platinum.

Yesterday, blogger, Hack My Trip, wrote a blog “Start thinking NOW about elite status.”  The blog stated, “The end-of-year elite status qualification deadline is approaching, which means two things. Either (1) You’re scrambling for a few mileage or mattress runs to reach your goal of elite status for this year, or (2) You’re already planning for next year.”

Unfortunately, I am #1. I am scrambling trying to decide if I should do what is known as a mileage run.  A mileage run is when you travel to a destination strictly to earn airline mileage not for the point of visiting the destination.,  I am 14,122  miles short of platinum.  I have three more flights before the end of the year but that will only earn me approximately 7,000 miles.  At this rate I am not going to make platinum  The only way to make it would be for me to do a cheap international trip. 

Below is the difference between gold and platinum.  Should I try for Platinum?  Leave a comment.

Gold is on the far right and platinum is in the middle

1 comment:

  1. I say go for it! If there is anyone who could find a cheap international flight...it is you. :)

    ReplyDelete