Thursday, October 18, 2012

I Got My Passport Stamped Without Leaving The Country

The passport I got stamped without leaving the country was my National Parks Passport book.  The National Park Passport book is divided into 9 color coded regions.  When visiting any national park, at the visitor center, there are rubber stamps that mark the date and park visited.  The stamp is similar to a passport stamp when leaving and/or entering a country.  In addition to the rubber stamp you can purchase a color stamp, similar to those used for postage, only larger, that shows a picture of the park that you visited.

The first national park, Yellowstone, was created by Congress in 1872. Today the National Park Service watches over 398 parks.  Today, Maria and I visited Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in Porter, Indiana.  This is the first time getting a stamp in the Midwest region.  I currently  have 65 passport stamps and a long way to go towards the 350+ stamps to fill my passport book. The passport book is a great way to keep track of memories.

Passport Book
There are certain weekends when you can get into the National Parks for free (Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, National Park week (Late April), National Public Lands Day (Late September) and Veterans Day weekend).  Here's a tip- 264 of the 398 national parks never charge an entrance fee so start planning your visit.

By the way if you are wondering if I made it to the Jelly Belly Factory, wait no further....


No comments:

Post a Comment