Monday, October 15, 2012

How to Maximize Your Credit Cards on Vacation

The Chicago travel conference has ended and I have a lot of information to share but one of the things I want to talk about is how to maximize your credit cards, whether it is for points or cash.  As you already know I almost always stay at Marriott hotels but tonight I am at a Hyatt in Chicago.  I don't have Hyatt status but I had $200 in Hyatt gift cards.  I got the room for $130 a night and am staying two nights.  The rate is normally $299 a night.  

I have several different credit cards to chose from to pay the difference between the gift cards and the total bill.  I chose my American Express.  Why?  Because American Express has what is known as OPEN savings.  This program gives me a percentage back on certain purchases.  See below for all the businesses.


From the chart I know that I will earn 3% back on my Hyatt stay.  People ask how I know this or even better how I remember.  As you can see from the picture below I put a little sticker on my credit card that tells me which card to use at which location.  For example, with the American Express I save up to 10% at Hertz, 3% at Hyatt and 5% at Barnes and Noble (always good to have a book when I am on vacation). 

If I use my Citibank American Airlines I save at the U.S. Post Office, Budget and Avis.  So make sure you chose the right credit card when you travel.

Also, always be nice to guest relations when checking in so you can possibly get an upgraded room, even without status.  See the view from my room.

River View Room

No comments:

Post a Comment