Monday, October 8, 2012

My Top 10 FREE Travel Apps (Part 2 of 2)

It has been almost a month since I listed the first 5 out of 10 FREE travel apps I like.  Due to the death of Tio Felipe I was not able to finish part 2 of the post. But fear not, I have not forgotten my loyal readers. So here are my remaining 5 favorite travel apps:  

6. Flightview Free Flight Tracker-This app tracks upcoming and in-air flights.  You can receive status alerts, check gate assignments, delays and cancellations.  

I rarely pay for apps but when it comes to flight status I am willing to pay the $4.99 for the app Flightstatus. With this app you can also view maps with live weather radar.  This app has more than flight information.  You can get information on parking lots, gas stations, car rentals, transportation, hotel, restaurants and more for airports worldwide. Since I said this blog is about FREE apps I would recommend Flightview for those who don't want to pay for Flightstatus.


7. Google translate- for those that travel worldwide don't leave home without Google Translate.  This app allows you to translate words and phrases between more than 60 languages.  For most languages you can speak your phrases and hear the corresponding translations.  Even for those that don't travel worldwide America is a melting pot and it is nice to know a few words in a language other than English.  The words, "Thank you" are always good to know in any language.



8. Wi-Fi finder- when you travel the GPS function on your phone will tell you exactly where the closest Wi-Fi hotspot is and how to get there.  You can even filter between paid and free Wi-Fi.



9.  XE Currency Conversion- This app converts every world currency.  What I like about this app is it even stores the last updated rates, so it works when the Internet doesn't. Don't overpay for something by trying to figure the conversion rate in your head.

10. Skype- Call, video and instant message anyone else on Skype for free.  I love the Skype app.  I used this on my trip to Japan this year to keep in touch with my family back in the U.S.

Hope these apps help you.  Here a few more apps you can check out on your own: Next Flight, Seat Guru, Gate Guru, Hotel Tonight, Packing Pro ($2.99) and finally Help Call ($2.99).

Leave a comment in the comment section on any of your favorite apps I may have missed.






No comments:

Post a Comment