Monday, July 23, 2012

Should I ditch my friends? & I need CPR


Regarding the topic line, should I ditch my friends, the answer to the question is, “No.” But that is not to say the thought did not cross my mind. Last week's flight to South Carolina had a layover in Houston.  The flight was delayed which meant spending almost two hours in Houston’s airport.  This would generally mean plenty of time to go the United Airlines Lounge. The problem was I could get "free" airline lounge passes (normal cost $50 per visit without a membership) and Maria could get those same free airline passes but my other friends could not.  I thought of sneaking away and ditching my friends but it didn’t feel right.  For those of you who have never been in an airport lounge, here is link showing where I could have waited. Wouldn't you rather wait in a lounge instead of a crowded boarding area?  I think I need to educate my friends and readers how they too can get lounge passes at an inexpensive price.  The answer is Skyguide.  With Skyguide you pay a $19.99 fee and are allowed 12 free visits a year to any airport lounge in the United States. You can even read about the best airport lounges.  Most all lounges come with free Internet, snacks and some have shower facilities.  

Once you have a Skyguide membership, in order to get free use of the lounge, you must purchase a lounge pass with your American Express Card and then mail the receipt along with the Skyguide lounge form in order to receive reimbursement.  Most lounges are $50.00 each time, so the normal cost would be $600 for 12 visits but you only have to pay a one time $19.99 membership fee.  If you want to use a gym while on vacation the Skyguide also includes 12 reimbursable gym passes up to $25.  All of this in one $19.99 fee. In order to join just click here.  I hope my friends, Sherri, Pete and Ann get the hint for our return trip.

Now lets talk about what caused me to almost need CPR.  Since I wasn’t in the lounge I was waiting in the boarding area when I casually asked Sherri if she was getting United Miles.  I had previously heard her mention US Airways and thought she might be getting US Airway miles on our United Flight (See the July 3, 2012 blog about airline alliances).  Then I heard those dreaded words, “I don’t think I am getting any miles.”  This nearly put me in cardiac arrest.  Ann was quick to pipe up, “I am.  See my number on my boarding pass?”  She even showed us her United Airlines laminated luggage tag showing she belonged to the MileagePlus program.  I told Sherri she could get the mileage after the flight but to all my readers, always make sure you never lose out on miles.

Our next topic while waiting for our delayed flight was timeshares but let’s save that for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment