Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Would you turn down a job that paid $285 an hour?


Today my mom called and asked what activity I had planned for the day.  I told her I had just gone zip lining.  She asked if I had a Groupon (a deal of the day website).  I told her I did not.  She replied, “You mean you paid full price?”  I had to admit I had, but through no fault of my own.

When we were leaving the grocery store there was an “information” booth.  We inquired about zip lining.  We were told the cost for four people would be $360.  The man at the information booth said he could save us $285 dollars if we were willing to attend a one-hour timeshare presentation.  I was all for it.  To me it was a no-brainer, $285 for one hour of my time.  But the minute my friends heard the words, “timeshare presentation,” I was immediately dragged away.  As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog I have gone to numerous timeshare presentations.  I liked the one in Cabo the best.  I got $300 cash, a Mexican blanket and a bottle of Tequila. 

Generally timeshare presentations will give you something to entice you to attend, sometimes a free dinner or free activities.  But would you ever pay to attend a timeshare presentation?  For me the answer is, “Yes.”  Again, don’t think I am crazy.  In December I am going to Las Vegas.  I am paying $149 for 4 days/3 nights to attend a Priority Club (Holiday Inn) timeshare presentation.  I was already planning to go to Las Vegas to see my sister and Maria run a half-marathon so I needed a place to stay.  One hundred forty-nine dollars for three nights is a great deal but who pays to attend a timeshare presentation?  After I attend the presentation I will be given $100 cash back.  I will also be given 10,000 priority points.  As we learned 10,000 points could equal 2 free nights when using PointBreaks (See July 20, 2012 blog).  Since I am getting $100 back it is costing me $49 for 3 nights plus the 2 free nights I am awarded,  this translates to approximately $10 per night for 5 nights. What a deal.

I think what scared all my friends when we were at the "information booth" was it was previously a very expensive lesson for them.  Last time they talked to someone at the "information booth" they got a free dinner and walked away with a brand new timeshare…OUCH. 

I missed out on my $285 savings for one hour but that gave me one more hour to spend with friends.

Ziplining on Hilton Head, SC

No comments:

Post a Comment