Monday, November 19, 2012

Am I Crazy? I Am Doing My First Mileage Run

Am I crazy?  I am going on my first mileage run.  I am flying strictly to earn airline miles with no other purpose.  Read below and tell me would you be willing to do the same.

As I mentioned in my November 7, 2012 blog I want to get platinum status this year with American Airlines.   I thought about flying to Japan to get some chocolate but an $800 flight seemed too expensive when I only needed 9438 miles until platinum status.  I subscribe to the Flight Deal.  I love getting the daily emails as it tells me the cheapest places to fly and on which airlines.  Last week I got an email that stated I could fly to Fort Lauderdale for $220 round trip.  It is hard to believe I can fly all the way across the United States for $110.00

To plan this trip I first I logged in to MrRebates (See July 2, 2012 blog) which gave me $1.00 off (not much but I will take it) then I applied my 5% off promotion code (9612DD- Good for all flights through 12-31-12). This gave me $5.00 off each way for a final price $209.60.  I will earn 2343 each way but since I signed up for the double miles promotion I will get 4686 each way or 9372 round trip.  I paid for my ticket with my American Airlines credit card so I will get double miles for the cost of the ticket.

I realize I am 66 miles short but I have a one way flight from Los Angeles to Las Vegas (236 miles) the first week in December which will get me to my platinum status. Yea I will make it!

Am I crazy?  My flight leaves LAX at 12;15 am and arrive in Florida at 7:55 am.  I leave Florida an hour later at 8:55 am and arrive back in Los Angeles at 11:45 am.

Platinum status is going to guarantee that I earn a 100% bonus on all my flights next year versus the 25% I would get with gold.  The 100% bonus this year earned me enough for two free flights within the United States or one free ticket to Europe.  I know I will be doing a lot of traveling so I think it is worth it but would you be willing to do the same?

Did you remember to sign up for Small Business Saturday with American Express  (See Friday's blog)? My mom even called to say she was all signed up.


No comments:

Post a Comment