Friday, December 21, 2012

Hate Standing in Long Lines?


I hate long lines.  When I come back from a great trip the thought of standing in a long line at customs and immigrations irks me.  So, I decided I would apply for Global Entry.  Global Entry is great for international travelers since it allows individuals to skip the long immigration lines for automated kiosks.  The cost is $100 for five years.  At $20 a year it is worth it to me to avoid the lines.
Once I was conditionally approved, I was given access to the calendar to schedule an appointment at an enrollment center. I chose Los Angeles Airport.  The first open date was April 2012.  Yikes.  Well, I decided to check back to see if there were any cancellations and guess what I was able to get in today.
I brought my letter saying I was conditionally approved, along with my passport and driver's license to verify my address.   I was asked three questions.     
2.            Do you travel for business or pleasure?
3.            What do you do before you retired?
4.            Have you been to Canada or Mexico?

My photograph and fingerprints were taken and a CBP (Custom Border Protection) sticker was placed on my passport's back cover. Within 10 minutes, I was done! 
While some of you may not be doing a lot of international traveling it also gives me access to TSA Pre-check.  I currently have TSA Pre-check with American Airlines and will now have it with Delta and United.  TSA Pre-check means I can keep my coat and shoes on and my laptop in its case when passing through security. 
In the movie, "Up in the Air," starring George Clooney as Ryan Bingham, Clooney travels a lot for business. Clooney teaches a new employee, Natalie Keener, the ropes on how to get through security lines quickly. Don't worry mom, Clooney is not referring to you in this movie when he states:

Ryan Bingham: [on getting through airport security] Never get behind old people. Their bodies are littered with hidden metal and they never seem to appreciate how little time they have left. Bingo, Asians. They pack light, travel efficiently, and they have a thing for slip on shoes. Gotta love 'em.
Natalie Keener: That's racist. 
Ryan Bingham: I'm like my mother, I stereotype. It's faster. 
I bet Clooney wishes he had TSA Pre-check and Global Entry.
Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment