Thursday, December 13, 2012

12-12-12 resulted in a $12 Airfare

I am flying to Portland at the end of this month and plan to be there for two weeks.  There is a possibility I may have to come back early.  I wanted to hedge my bet on the off chance this was the case.  So I needed to get a one way ticket back to the Los Angeles area without too much out of pocket.  Yesterday was my lucky day.  Since the date was 12-12-12, Jet Blue decided to celebrate the opening of its newly renovated $45 million terminal by offering $12 fares from Portland to Long Beach.

For that price, even if I didn't need the ticket, it was worth the purchase.  I used my Citibank premier credit card to purchase the ticket.  This credit card earns me one point for every airline mile traveled so I will earn 848 points.  Through the Citibank Thank You points program, generally, 848 points equals $8.48.  The ticket cost me $11.80 so the most I have to lose is $3.32.

But wait it gets better. Before purchasing the ticket I went to MrRebates and got $2.00 back on my purchase. Don't forget to start your internet shopping at Evreward (see July 2, 2012 blog). Evreward showed me that MrRebates paid out 2.00 whereas Ebates paid out only $1.50. It may not seem like a lot but trust me it ads up.

So I may be out $1.32 but not bad if I have to make a last minute change to my reservation.  If I do have to make a change I can at least check out the new Long Beach airport, which even has a fire pit.



No comments:

Post a Comment