Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What is a Wallaby?

A wallaby is similar to a kangaroo.  They are both pouched animals with prominent hind legs, bouncing around like kids on pogo sticks.  You are probably wondering what a Wallaby has to do with saving money while traveling.  You may be even wondering if I have planned a trip to Australia.  The answer is that Wallaby is an app that will save you money.  

As I have mentioned previously I have several different credit cards which I use based on what I am purchasing and which card offers me the best return.  That is where the Wallaby app comes into play.  Some cards give extra points at say gas stations, restaurants, etc.  Often these extra points are only good for three months and then rotate to other reward extra points areas such as movies or department stores.  It is sometimes hard to keep up with which credit card is best to use.  With the Wallaby app you enter all your credit cards and then when you are at a merchant the program calculates which of your credit cards will give you the best deal.  

For example, if I want to purchase gasoline I would enter the name of the gas station.  If I had used my  Bank of America Alaska Airlines debit card I would only earn 1 airline mile for every $2 spent.  The app would suggest I use my Costco American Express which would give me a 4% return on my purchase.  Below is a sample for a local restaurant.

Try it out and tell me what you think

No comments:

Post a Comment