Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thinking of Switching from American to Alaska Miles Earning

It is January and I am working on my airline status strategy for the 2013 year.  On the Global Scavenger Hunt (see January 14th, 2013 blog) the flights are not on any U.S. airlines but that doesn't mean I can't earn my favorite airline miles based on an alliance (See July 3, 2013 blog to understand alliances).

I currently have platinum status with American Airlines which gives me lots of benefits but I am thinking of switching to earn Alaska Airline miles for status this year.  With Alaska Airlines, seventy-two hours in advance I can get FREE upgrades, if there is room available.  This is what happened last month on my flight to Portland.  This is similar to a benefit offered by Delta and United airlines.  Unfortunately, with American Airlines I have to redeem 500 mile upgrade segments  (I earn four 500 mile upgrades after every 10,000 miles flown). With American Airlines, I currently have 8 upgrades which won't even get me a round trip upgrade from the west coast to the east coast.  If I want to fly Alaska I can look online at seat availability to see what the chances are for a free upgrade and I really like flying first class.

Since I don't know what airline I will be flying on the Global Scavenger Hunt I plan to take my airline frequent flyer cards and a list of alliances.

Look at all these Alaska Airline benefits and tell me if you think I should dump American and start earning with Alaska:


No comments:

Post a Comment