Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What to do when you experience a travel problem

I promise after today to stop blogging about United Airlines, at least for awhile.  When you have a problem with something do you generally write a letter of complaint or send an email to customer service?  I do.  If you had been in Kathy's situation, as described in last week's blog, would you have followed up or let it drop?  Would you have followed up initially but then let it drop after receiving the email from United that they were not going to do anything to compensate her for her troubles?  What if the problem was something minor such as the overhead light not working for your airplane seat so you can't read your favorite book?  I expect good service.  I write to the airline/hotel/car rental when I have poor service but I also write when I have exceptional service.  

I am the type that would write for the non-operational light.  A week ago Sunday, I was sitting in United Airlines first class on my flight home from South Carolina when we were told the movie would begin shortly.  Well, to make a long story short, the crew never got the movie working.  I shot off a quick email to United Airlines customer service and asked for compensation in the form of airline miles.  I originally thought I would have received my response by today's blog, as this has been my experience with other airlines.  Seeing it took United three weeks to answer Kathy, I am not holding my breath.

If you need to write a letter be short and to the point.  Don't get mean or nasty, that won't get you anything.  Explain the problem and then state what you are asking for, e.g., miles, points, financial compensation.  I have found it is much easier to ask for points and miles and get what I am asking for but if the problem is really major don't be afraid to ask for compensation.  Just realize chances are if you ask for compensation it may be in the form of a certificate for future travel.  For this reason, don't end your email with, "I will never fly ABC airline again!"  Don’t be afraid to write or email when you experience a problem but also be sure to write when you have exceptional service.  I will let you know when I receive my response from United.  

As a quick side note, my mom used to be a United Airlines “stewardess.”  For those of my young readers this is the terminology used before today’s "flight attendant."  When my mom worked for United if you got married you could no longer be a stewardess.  I guess it worked out as she is still married to my dad after 56 years K
Mom is second from the left.






No comments:

Post a Comment